Hyacinth Guy, Ph. D, SPHR ; SHRM-SCP
19 Dahlia Crescent, La Florissante, D’Abadie, Trinidad & Tobago
Tel . No. 868- 646-4232; 868-681-4723
e-mail : Hyacinth.email@example.com
I believe that the wealth of a country lies in its people and if the creative potential of a people is recognized, respected, tapped and utilized, this will lead to the success of organizations and the growth and development of a society and a country.
My expertise lies in diagnosing organizations and determining whether they are aligned with their strategic objectives. I can identify the structural conflicts in an organization and design the organization so that these conflicts are eliminated or minimized paving the way for organization success.
- A. Occupational History and Achievements
2017 to date Hyacinth Guy, Human Resource Company
Principal Director – providing a range of Human Resource Management and Organization Development Services. The primary focus is on improving the capacity and capability of the internal Human Resource Department, making it a strategic function in the organization and relevant and invaluable to its stakeholders.
2016 to date Regulated Industries Commission
Chairman – with responsibility for carrying out period reviews of the rating regimes of service providers for water and electricity, and for ensuring high service standards to the public.
2016 to date Industrial Relations Advisory Committee
Chairman – with responsibility for advising the Minister of Labor on Industrial Relations issues in the country.
2014 to 2017 Caribbean Airlines Limited
Vice President Human Resource: – with responsibility for the design and implementation of a Strategic Human Resource Management function, an effective Disputes Resolution System and for transforming its culture into one that is results driven and customer focused. Also responsible for the Health, Safety and Environmental, Medical Services, Printing/Mail functions.
1995–2014 The Power Generation Company of T&T Limited
Director Human Resources and member of the Executive Management Team: – with responsibility for: Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, Corporate Communications, Information Technology, Security and Administration. Held shared responsibility for the Health, Safety and Environmental functions.
2005 to 2014 Teaching Service Commission
Chairman: – with responsibility for recruitment, selection, appointment and for establishing and maintaining standards of discipline by Teachers in all Primary and Secondary schools in the country.
1981–1995 BWIA West Indies Airlines
1976 – 1981 Shell Trinidad Limited
1974 – 1976 Government of Trinidad & Tobago
- Other relevant activities
Core HRM Functions
- Participated in the development of Strategic Business Plans at The Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited and Caribbean Airlines Limited.
- Led the process to develop Strategic Plans at The Teaching Service Commission and the Regulated Industries Commission.
- Undertook Workforce Audits at The Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited, the Teaching Service Commission and the Regulated Industries Commission over the past five years.
- Conducted Job Designs at The Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago over the period 2000 to 2012 and Job Analyses and Job Evaluations at Caribbean Airlines over the period 2015 and 2016.
- Designed, developed and implemented Recruitment and Selection systems for a range of positions including, entry level, technical, administrative, managerial and executive level positions.
- Designed, developed and implemented Training Programs at The Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago and Caribbean Airlines Limited for technical, non-technical and management/executive position. Supervised the production and publication of training manuals. Conducted numerous training programs on all aspects of Human Resource Management.
- Undertook Compensation Surveys at The Power Generation Company of Trinidad and Tobago, Caribbean Airlines Limited, the Regulated Industries Commission and for several other organizations on a needs basis. Competent at using the information from a compensation survey and linking this with the job evaluation results, creating a job hierarchy and a grading system. Implemented merit pay systems in organizations, linking pay to the results of the performance evaluation (appraisal) process.
- Developed Performance Management and Evaluation Systems at several organizations
- Developed Dispute Resolution Systems at several organizations.
- Participated as a Member of several committees involved in various aspects of Public Sector Reform
- Participated as a Member of a committee established to select a job evaluation system and a competency based management system for the Public Service in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Former Member of the Cabinet appointed committee established to implement a National Information and Communication Technology Plan.
Teaching and Facilitating
- Teach and lecture on programs at various tertiary level institutions in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Community Work and Achievements:
- Employers’ Consultative Association: Previous Board Director
- The Society For Human Resource Management (SHRM)- Past Leader, SHRM Member Forum
- The Human Resource Management Association of Trinidad & Tobago (HRMATT)- Past President and present Honorary Member.
- Working Women for Social Progress – Member
- Powerful Ladies of Trinidad and Tobago – Member
- International Women’s Forum – Member
- PhD 2014 – Conflict Analysis and Resolution Nova Southeastern University, Florida, U.S.A. (Concentration – Organization Conflict. Dissertation focused on Managing Change in the Public Service – Public Sector Reform and the Role of Strategic Human Resource Management – A Case Study of the Teaching Service Commission.
- 1998 – 2000 – Andrews University, MI, U.S.A. – Masters in Business Administration (MBA) – (Marketing Focus)
- 1993-1994 – University of the West Indies – Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations – main focus – issues affecting the Caribbean as a result of the coming to fruition of the European Union.
- 1990-1991 –Institute of Social Studies, Holland (University of Rotterdam), Masters of Arts (MA) Labor and Development Studies – main focus – A Case Study of BWIA and the role of Strategic Human Resource Management and Organization Development in achieving success.
- 1989 – 1990 University of London completed 1st year LL.B. (stopped to pursue MA).
- 1985 – 1989 University of the West Indies – Sc. Social Sciences (General)
- 1983 – 1985 – University of the West Indies – Certificate in Management Studies
- Training and Accreditation
- Generation Economics – Southern Company College, Georgia, U.S.A. – this program covered all aspects of running an electric utility business, including generating the product, selling and marketing it, making decisions about sales levels given costs and benefits scenarios and deciding on new business ventures and options.
- Accounting for Sustainable Economic and Social Development in the Caribbean and Latin America – 2003 hosted by the Institute of Social Studies and held in Costa Rica
- Leadership Development – Southern Company College, Georgia, U.S.A.
- Alternative Disputes Resolution Stitt Feld Handy,Toronto:: – basic and advanced
- Conflict Management Training – Society for Human Resource Management, U.S.A.
- Global Human Resource Management
- Win/Win negotiations; Financial Accounting
- Performance Management, Presentation Skills, Peer Counseling
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Personal Development and Leadership
- I am Trained Life Coach and ‘Thinking into Results’ Facilitator – Trainer and Consultant in the LifeSuccess Productions suite of programs.
- I am Certified in Meditation and Ayurvedic Health
- 1999 – Society of Human Resource Management, U.S.A.– Accreditation – Senior Professional in Human Resource Management12/7/2010 (SPHR and SHRM-SCP)
- 2009 – LifeSuccess Consultant and Coach with LifeSuccess Productions
- 2009 –Thinking into Results Facilitator – Organization Development, LifeSuccess Productions
- 2014 – Certified Meditation Teacher – The Chopra Center
- 2016 – Perfect Health Certification Teacher in Ayurvedic Lifestyle – The Chopra Center
- Organization Affiliations
- Society for Human Resource Management – USA
- The Human Resource Management Association of Trinidad & Tobago
- Employers’ Consultative Association – T&T
- Institute for Professional Development – UK
- The Commonwealth Association of Public Sector Managers, Canada
- The International Association of Facilitators
- Some writings (unpublished)
- The Caribbean Airline Industry in a Restructured International Airline Industry – Strategic Human Resource Management for Achieving Competitive Advantage
- Trade Liberalization and Labor Relations in the Caribbean
- Europe 1992 and its implications for the Caribbean
- Labor Relations and Political Risk – Do they affect foreign direct investment?
- Industrialization and Labor in Trinidad and Tobago, Nigeria and Brazil.
- An Analysis of the Current (2003) Conflict in Venezuela
- Labor Legislative reform and its impact on the practice of human resource management.
- Utilizing the Performance Evaluation and Management System for improving productivity
- Human Resource Development – Promoting Competitive Advantage through people
- People Centered Business Strategies
- Making the Transition from School to the Workplace
- The Relationship between HR and the Line Manager
- Working Paper presented to the ILO – Equality and Non-discrimination in Caribbean Organizations.
- A Facilitation Proposal for the Working Group engaged in establishing the Caribbean Single Market Economy
- Power Based Issues in Domestic Violence in Trinidad and Tobago
- Vending in the Capital City of Port of Spain
- A Proposal for A Dispute Systems Design for Arima Senior Comprehensive School
- Public Service Reform and the Role of Strategic Human Resource Management
- Working Paper presented to Industrial Relations Conference – Human Resource Management and New Era Industrial Relations (Feb. 2005)
- Spirituality in the Workplace – Leadership issues (March 2005)
- Public Policy in Trinidad and Tobago – Issues for Education (July 2005)
- Paper presented at International Public Sector Management Conference – Public Sector Reform is Human Resource Management Reform (2008)
- Paper presented to UWI Conference – Policy Implementation issues in the Public Sector – the importance of a micro level focus
- Strategic HR Management (2015
- Absenteeism in organizations – whose responsibility (2015)
- Employee Engagement – The Missing Link (2016)
- Some Speaking Engagements/Presentations
- Various interests groups on behalf of The ECA in Trinidad & Tobago , Barbados and St. Lucia
- Various forums for The Human Resource Management Association of Trinidad & Tobago
- Various secondary schools in Trinidad and Tobago
- CARILEC HRM Conference in Barbados: “Human Resources and Customer Service”
- Management groups in various organizations in Trinidad and Tobago
- The University of the West Indies – conferences.
- International Labor Organization – Caribbean Office – The Business case for non-discrimination in organizations.
- CARILEC HRM Conference held in St. Lucia, Keynote Presentation: “Adding Value Through Visionary Leadership”
- Industrial Relations Forum put on by Ministry of Labor – Human Resource Management and New Era Industrial Relations
- Raj Yoga Centre – Spirituality in the workplace
- International Public Management Association – Public Sector Reform is Human Resource Management Reform.
- Communicating in Turbulent Times – address to International Association of Business Communicators
- Recruitment and Selection – Selecting Great Teachers – address to the Ministry of Education Seminar
- Conflict Resolution for Educators (CRE) – Ohio U.S.A.
- Educational Districts in Trinidad and Tobago – quarterly